The new firmware is – appropriate to the present date – a major release upgrade. This means that, compared to its predecessor, central features were significantly extended and/or enhanced. Besides the measurement functionality itself, this includes various configuration options as well as measurement result visualization and data export.
All user-visible changes since the previous version are listed below.
- The second characteristic value (usually t0.5, next to the primary value t0.1) may now be freely selected by the user in the range from t0.2 to t0.9.
- Next to brightness based measurement, with t0.1 and t0.5 as the durations during which the brightness of the measured flash is above 10%, respectively 50% of its maximum, luminous exposure was added as an alternative measurement basis. With luminous exposure based measurement, the progression of brightness no longer directly matters, which makes it a perfect measurement basis especially for modern HSS-capable (or any other types of) flash units with heavily alternating brightness curves. Instead of the maximum brightness, characteristic values are now related to the overall exposure caused by the emitted flash light. This means that t0.1 and t0.5 would be those durations after which 90%, respectively 50% of the complete flash pulse, was emitted.
- The minimum brightness intensity required for a valid measurement is now user adjustable. Here applies that it is easier to accomplish a valid result with a lower minimum intensity. However, it also applies that, the higher the minimum intensity, the more accurate the result.
- Next to writing screenshots, documentation of measurement results to SD memory cards has been extended by the option to export raw measurement readings into files.
- The electronic flash trigger may now be enabled/disabled through the configuration menu.
- As an additional option, the visualization of the brightness curve has been enhanced by using color steps to better illustrate the characteristic values and their transitions.
- The general visual impression of the optional visualization grid has been enhanced.
For correct installation, please adhere to the procedure described in the unit’s instruction manual.